Thursday, September 30, 2010

Voting Results

Here is the email I just sent out to all sections:

Hello Sections 81, 82 & 83,

The opportunity to vote has now passed.  Due to overwhelming response, you will stay in the same groups to complete the second paper, as you did for the first paper. 

I must admit, I'm shocked at the results.  Across all sections, and out of 75 students, only a couple of folks voted to switch groups.  When I say a 'couple' of students, I really mean one or two students total out of 75.  I don't think I have ever had such a positive response to stay in the same groups!  Wow!!!  Working in the same groups will allow you to really get to know your group-mate's and gel together even more as a group. 

Please set up an initial meeting with your existing group to start working on your second project (Critical Thinking and Social Organizations).  Please elect one person to email me from your group to let me know when your first meeting will be (start a new email, DO NOT reply to this email).  Please set up the meeting date/time/location by Saturday, October 2 @ 11:59pm.  This means that you should simply have a meeting date/time set up - you do not have to meet by that time.  Do not be afraid to call the folks in your group.  Sometimes folks get a bit busy and forget to check their email.

Let me know if there are any questions about this project.
:)
Carol

Note:  The reason why I asked each student to vote is because I really want YOU to be a part of the decision making of this course.  I have found that students too often do not have a say in their classes, and after all, this is YOUR education, right?  So voting for groups is one way to get you involved in the decision making process of this course.

After looking over the results, it looks like I heard from at least 2 members of every group.  That tells me that something is working right within the group process!  YOU determine your experience in this class, and I'm very glad I'm able to give the students back some power over their education. 

I look forward to hearing from each group about their first scheduled meeting.  Remember, your first meeting MUST be in real time (conference call, in-person meeting, or real time chat). 

1 comment: